On the subject of profits, loss and knowledge.

Moderator: WoA Ref's

Eminiska
WoA Referee
2nd Level
2nd Level

Re: On the subject of profits, loss and knowledge.

Post by Eminiska » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:50 am

The girl with the serious eyes returned that day, to his annoyance. She had a large role bruise on one cheek, with a blackened eye that made him uncomfortable as she approached

"What are you here for, Urchin?" He snarled, feeling more uncomfortable at his anger "I've nothing for you" she regarded him steadily "I would like to be your apprentice and travel." She stated simply "I am old enough to be taken as an apprentice, therefore there is no difficulty with my age. I can read, write and perform multiplication, and I have basic knowledge that has been given to me by the local merchants."

Tim was taken aback - this child was no urchin, to have those skills.... He narrowed his eyes at her "who.... Are you, child?" She tilted her head back at him, as if considering her answer "no-one important. There is more to learn before I could be anything."

The answer was fair, he supposed. It was not unusual for young children to be taken as apprentices for all trades, but usually it was the parent, not the child who arranged it.

"And your parents...?" He asked "see no problem." She answered, not missing a second

He shrugged inwardly "and, your name...?"
The child hesitated - the first time she had seemed to lack confidence "....Lirael" she answered

"Very well Lirael, welcome to the life of a traveling merchant."

She nodded Solemnly

There is no such thing as luck, only hard work and coincidence.
Achieve your goals with your own hands.

Eminiska
WoA Referee
2nd Level
2nd Level

Re: On the subject of profits, loss and knowledge.

Post by Eminiska » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 am

He learned very quickly that this was no ordinary child, irrespective of her background - she had the ability to learn skills beyond her years at a fast rate, and she traveled with him for 4 years, learning the trade of a merchant, while sending money back to her home.

When she was 10, she calmly announced to him that she now intended to apprentice herself as a doctor as the two skills would suit each other well.

He was slightly taken aback and disappointed - his sales had grown over the past 4 years with her assistance, but knowing her well now, he agreed to leave her with the surgeon of the town they were in...
There is no such thing as luck, only hard work and coincidence.
Achieve your goals with your own hands.